In a busy commercial kitchen it is often necessary to keep cooking fumes under control, for the following reasons:
- To make the kitchen a more pleasant working environment,
- To improve the air quality in the dining area, if the building is open-plan,
- To prevent a build-up of greasy deposits which may constitute a health or fire risk,
- To reduce nuisance smells outside the building,
- To prevent flavour transfer from one type of foodstuff to another,
- To enable a building without an extraction system to be used as a kitchen.
In a domestic situation cooking smells are generally more acceptable, however fumes from pyrolytic self-cleaning ovens can be very unpleasant and even dangerous.